Pages

Friday 6 June 2014

GA2A01 - Weapon Summative

It's been a while since I've last made a new post, mostly due to laziness and procrastination, an evil habit I know...

This was our first modelling Summative for the year. We had 4 weeks to model and texture a weapon of our choice, only requirement for the weapon being it had to shoot in some way. I was ill for the first two weeks, once cold and once flu, managed to get a week extension to make up some lost time.

I chose to make a crossbow, because crossbows are cool.
Nothing more to be added.

References:


I decided to go with something Steampunk, but I would've also liked to make a Cyberpunk or Magical crossbow.

Concepts:



High Poly

I decided to jump straight into Zbrush without building a base mesh in Maya/Max to learn more on using the program, and as a way to push myself.

I started out with Shadowbox, using the concept image as my reference and loaded onto each orthographic view of the Shadowbox so I can "trace" the basic shape.

I used clip curve tool to clean up the edges, panel loop to create all the metal bits on each piece, alphas for the screws, and a custom curved brush for the tubes connecting the canisters to the crossbow.





Texturing

Getting my normals and ambient occlusion took a lot longer than I expected. I had 18 separate parts, and for each I made an envelope and baked it in xNormal. I should have asked for help more at this stage to see if there was a more efficient way of baking the weapon.

I decided to go with dDo for my diffuse and specular as I was running out of time. They turned out alright, but I would have preferred to have hand painted textures.

Unfortunately I only noticed at this stage there were a couple UVs that were completely messed up, so there are stretched textures on a few parts of the crossbow.



Final Renders









Issues:

  • Edge lines showing. Had to do with the baking process I believe.
  • Bowstring not double-faced.
  • Stretched textures due to messed up UVs.

No comments:

Post a Comment