Pages

Friday 5 July 2013

Portfolio Submission Two

Commentary For My Six Paintings


First Painting (Traditional) - Virgin of the Rocks



The Virgin of the Rocks is a famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci. The full painting shows Madonna, Christ Child, John the Baptist and an angel. The section I painted was of the angel’s head and neck, which I acquired a colour printout of earlier this year during the painting studio classes. This is an acrylic painting. 

For this painting I started out by painting it upside-down. I found it to be easier to paint the face this way as the whole face didn’t distract me from all the little details; however I believe it also skewed my perception a bit of the overall facial proportions. Noticeable incorrect proportions of my painting are:

·         The nose is a slight bit too long.
·         The eyes are a bit too big.
·         The philtrum length caused by the longer nose

These few incorrections are very noticeable on a portrait, as opposed to the same amount on a still life or landscape.

For the colouring, I started out without covering the face with a base colour, but instead added mid-tones to divided sections of face. I then added a tone to each edge of sections to blend out the colours, creating a gradient. The white has only a very thin coat of white-ish pink, so most of the white is from the white paper itself, and the black colours are just one coat of black with the exception of a few small spots, as it was near impossible to paint over black.

I had the most trouble with painting the neck/clothing folds and her hair curls. I believe I spent more time on the folds than her whole face. The folds were challenging because of how thin the dark and light tones are, and also some had sharp edges while others had gradients. The only way I managed to paint them in the end was with patience and precision. The hair curls proved to be just a challenging, mostly due to how numerous there were and the line-work required to draw each was too time consuming (I did not manage my painting time efficiently), therefore I only painted what I could.

Mixing the colours were my other big challenge, mostly due to my inexperience with traditional paint. This can be seen from the neck section of my painting. There is this one fold of the skin with a slight hint of green in the original painting, and I wasn’t unable to reproduce the colour successfully and turned out more grey than I had hoped. The lighter hint of yellow on her shoulders was troubling to reproduce as well and turned out to be a darker shade of yellow.

Reference

Da Vinci, L. (1483-1486). Virgin of the Rocks. 
Retrieved from:

















Second Painting (Digital) – Dark Forest

Final Painting



I chose this painting partially because of the setting I wanted for another summative, but also because of the background lighting where the further the object the lighter it became I found to be very interesting.

I started out with the line-work on the top layer, with the background on the bottom layer. I painted a cyan-green radial gradient in the background to match the photograph, which was the easiest part of the painting. The line-work was with the numerous branches and leaves and the different shade of black and grey each had to represent its distance. I painted each trunk and branch, and used a large paint brush for roughly half the leaves while painted the other half individually.

The most challenging part of the painting was managing the different colour shades as they were the only indication of distance in the picture. I believe I did a good job replicating the background colour and each grey shade of the trees. Only improvement apart from adding more detail to each individual leaf (very tedious work) would to get better proportions of the forest, as the cluttering of the leaves and branches made it difficult to correctly proportion every trunk and branch.


Anthraxdeathrider. (2012). Foggy Dark Forest. Retrieved from:

Reference




Third Painting (Traditional) – Chick and Egg


I decided to draw a chick with an egg because it proved a challenge at representing two opposite textures in one painting: a smooth surface of an egg verses the feathering fluff that is the chicken, and also because the photo was so cute. This is an acrylic painting.

Proportion-wise I think it was much less difficult than my other paintings to draw correctly, though the one noticeable mistake is shorter length of a talon on the chick’s further foot.

The colour I think was pretty close, but not exact. The orange tone of the egg was the most difficult to mix, together with the gradient proved to be too difficult to get exact. From looking at the painting and photo right now, I think the egg can be improved with more yellow and white in the colour, but only a slight bit as I think was I have already is a good mid-tone.

The other challenge was painting the chick’s body. The fine details, like the dark spots showing the protrusion of the feathers, were virtually impossible to paint with my common brushes. I borrowed a fan brush from a fellow classmate, and experimented with its effects for the first time. The result turned out alright, but perhaps a too dark and too many darker lines. The little folds in the chick’s legs were difficult to reproduce, and what I did was press my brush tip horizontally to form parallel presses, and the excess paint squeezed out from the edges formed the lighter folds on the legs. I then painted a slightly darker tone on the presses to intensify the lighter lines.

Overall I am happy with the result considering my lack of experience with different types of brushes.


Retrieved from:
Reference




Fourth Painting (Digital) – Peeled Orange

Final Painting




This digital painting I started back in a lab on Photoshop, and decided to finish it off for the summative. It is a monochromatic painting of a peeled orange still life.

I decided to go monochromatic to better focus on the shades than the colour as I find working only with shades is more challenging to successfully represent a still life. I also painted this using the smudging tool for the great majority of the painting. This was only because I found it easier at the start of the painting when I did yet have a graphic tablet.

I think I did a good job on this painting as well, and managed to paint all the detailed features on the orange. The only criticisms I have are the lack of the water droplets on the orange due to a lack of time, the rushed background (though not too important), and a slight proportion difference which is to be expected.

Reference

Gomez, A. (Year Unknown). Retrieved from:
http://lumartingalleries.com/artists-2/alfredo-gomez-still-life-paintings/#2



Fifth Painting (Traditional) – Four Seasons




For this painting I based it on two different photo references, and created it my own. This is an acrylic painting. It is a painting of the same tree in four different seasons, with each season occupying a quarter of the painting.

The painting looks a bit too cartoonish and not realistic enough with realistic lighting effects. The autumn sky looks too red and the clouds aren’t realistically shaped. The spring branches look too rough and too thick, and should’ve been more like the winter branches. I tried creating sun glare on the summer sun, and I think I came close at recreating a realistic looking glare, but not so much when matches with a visible sun. Improvements on this would be for a near white sun with more noticeable and brighter glare lines.

It was my earliest painting I did at school, so I think my painting skills have improved since then.

(Left Photo) Retrieved from:
http://www.edb.utexas.edu/visionawards/petrosino/index.php?usr=katieraegan&id=s:home_katieraegan

(Right Photo) TheAngelsFace. (2013). 4 Seasons Tree. Retrieved from:
http://theangelsface.deviantart.com/art/4-seasons-tree-347511010 






Sixth Painting (Digital) – Sand Dune






My last painting is of the Sahara Desert. I always wanted to paint a desert for its beauty, and also because I could use this backdrop for my game project I am working on.

I approached this painting with similar techniques from my orange still life, as it was (almost?) monochromatic with many gradients of shades. I laid down a base colour for the whole desert, then applied shades and highlights to individual sections and focused on completing each section before moving onto the next. I used the smudge tool in Photoshop to create the gradients, which wasn’t too challenging but was time consuming to get the right shade.

The most challenging part of the painting was the ripples in the sand, and how to show the dark lines. I found it extremely difficult to draw line by line was they were either not on the correct angle or had too many breaks in between creating jagged lines. I settled with a brush in Photoshop that had two parallel lines each, therefore giving a better illusion of uniformed ripples. The biggest improvement I could make to this painting would be giving more time to the ripples and making them more details, as right now they are aren’t very realistic upon closer inspection.
Retrieved from:

No comments:

Post a Comment